Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBX, FireBird und die Zukunft ...

Hallo allerseits!

Kann ich auch in Zukunft noch das Gespann IBX und FireBird-Server (in neueren Versionen, wie z. B. der 1.5) für die Applikationsentwicklung einsetzen? Ich frage deshalb, weil es ja wohl zwei InterBase Versionen gibt, die getrennt voneinander weiter entwickelt werden.

Grüße

Michael.

Hallo,

in der Newsgroup <i>borland.public.delphi.database.interbaseexpress </i> war dazu von Jeff Overcash (TeamB) - dem Betreuer von IBX - die folgende Aussage zu lesen:

<i>
    &gt; Do you want then to say that IBX will always access FireBird and the rumors<br>
    &gt; are not truthful?. And, if I marry that does it come to happen why is there<br>
    &gt; were changes in FireBird that turned him/it incompatible with IBX?

I am saying the same thing I have always said. I do not have the time to support both the main tree plus any forks that come along. As long as FireBird stays backwards compatible at the API level you should not have problems with IBX and FireBird. If Firebird breaks backwards compatibility then you will have problems with every access method supplied by every Borland tool. JBuilder, Kylix, Delphi and BCB will all not work with Firebird with any in the box supplied access method.

It is up to Firebird if they consider not breaking existing access methods (and there for existing applications) important or not. I will not be directly supporting Firebird. I don't have the free time to do so.

--
    Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
    </i>

IBX wird daher auch in Zukunft keine Anpassungen für Firebird vorsehen, so dass IBX demnächst nur noch für die Borland-Version nutzbar wird

Comment

Vielen Dank für die Info! Schade, das! Aber irgendwie auch verständlich, dass sich Jeff Overcash auf eine Richtung eingeschossen hat. Gibt's denn eine gute (vielleicht sogar auch Open Source-) Alternative zu IBX, die FireBird unterstützt und unterstützen wird? Ich denke da an Zeo's Lib oder so..

Comment

Working...
      X